City of San Diego Retired Employees Association
November 14, 2017
Board Meeting Minutes
NOTE: All votes were unanimous unless otherwise noted
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Jim Baross at 9:30am.
Board Members Present: Nancy Acevedo, Jim Baross, Mike Bresnahan, Karen Butler, Shirley Hall, Joan Hernandez, Charlie Hogquist, Brad Jacobsen, Joan McNamara, Ty Rogers, Mary Ann Stepnowsky, John Tsiknas, Dave Twomey, and Janet Wood
Guests Present: Art Brown, Joe Flynn
AGENDA: There were no changes to the agenda.
MINUTES: The minutes of the October 2017 Board meeting were approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen reported that the November 1 transfer of funds to the Russell 3000 was made but is not reflected in the November report.
M/S/C to approve the November Treasurer’s Report.
Karen also announced her resignation as Treasurer, as the duties are becoming too complex for her comfort level. Her replacement, including the possibility of hiring a professional, will be a topic of discussion at the Board retreat.
RETIREMENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
Charlie informed us that the 13rh Check and Corbett Check will be issued on November 30. Nine candidates to replace Mark Hovey have been interviewed. This number will be reduced to 3 to 5 finalists who will be interviewed by the full SDCERS Board in January. Hovey has extended his retirement date until his replacement is hired.
- Over 500 employees have joined MEA’s lawsuit against the City for underpayment of overtime earned in the last three years. Local 127 is moving forward with a separate action.
- There was brief discussion about how to reach out to City and State politicians, and whether to do the meetings jointly with RFPA. More discussion will take place at the retreat.
- Work assignments for the Holiday Party were made.
- Joan reported that the Old Globe tour was a roaring success.
- Mary Ann will forward a prototype of the revised REA website design for review and comment. There will be a follow-up meeting on November 20.
Advocacy: The next meeting is December 28.
Retiree Issues Task Force (RITF): SDCERS has concluded its recalculation of salary over-/under-payments; some lawsuits are pending.
Other Retired Public Employee Associations: At the regular meeting with Mike Zucchet, the topic was the vacancy and turnover problems at the City because of Prop B.
Active Employee Associations: No report.
Communications: No report.
Membership: Membership is 1498. SDCERS may be able to notify us when members pass away.
Sunshine: No report.
Newsletter: Deadline for next issue is November 20.
General Membership Programs: The January meeting will be Mike Zucchet. Programs for the remainder of 2018 will be brainstormed at the retreat.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:40am.