City of San Diego Retired Employees Association
July 9, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes
NOTE: All votes were unanimous unless otherwise noted
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Jim Baross at 9:30am.
Board Members Present:Jim Baross, Mike Bresnahan, Karen Butler, Shirley Hall, Brad Jacobsen, Joan McNamara, Ty Rogers, Mary Ann Stepnowsky, John Tsiknas, Dave Twomey, Dick Wilken, and Janet Wood
Guests Present: Joe Flynn, Ed Smrt
AGENDA: Secretarial Duties in August was added to the agenda under Discussion Items.
MINUTES: The minutes of the May 2019 Board meeting were approved.
COMMUNICATIONS: Denise, a retiree now living in Kentucky, signed up for a healthcare plan that was not part of SDCERS or PEBA and sought reimbursement only to find that it didn’t qualify under the City’s definition of an alternative healthcare plan. There was some question about possibly-ambiguous wording in SDCERS’ brochure. The issue will be raised at RITF.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Karen reported that the mailhouse is increasing our monthly rate from $315 to $345 due to an increase in postage costs. Other than that, all is well.
M/S/C to accept the May and June Treasurer’s Report.
John reported that we had another good month
M/S/C to accept the Investment Committee Report.
RETIREMENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORT
Via email, Charlie reported that the Board will be selecting a new Board president on Friday.
1) Dave updated the Board on his proposal for improving the image of public retirees. He has spoken with several consultants, but none were doing this sort of work. He is also developing criteria for partnering with other groups for event/activity sponsorships, which may include volunteering. The Advocacy Committee is exploring the use of Legal Defense funds for this project. Again, this is a long-term effort, and Dave and the Advocacy Committee will continue to work on it and give feedback to the Board.
2) A Nominating Committee needs to be formed. Jim announced his “retirement” from the Presidency. In addition to Jim, the other Board members’ positions that are up for considerations are Dave, Mike, Ty, and Joan Hernandez.
3) Brad will be taking an unauthorized vacation in August; Joan McNamara volunteered to do the Secretarial duties. Brad will still be able to receive the luncheon RSVPs.
1) Dick reported that the Health Fair was a good event and ten new members joined on the spot. He recommended that we staff both health events next year.
2) Joan McNamara reported that the next REA outing will be a tour of the Marston House on October 4. She is considering another tour of the Airport.
Advocacy: The next Advocacy Committee meeting will be July 25 at the Mission Valley Library.
Retiree Issues Task Force (RITF): No report
Other Retired Public Employee Associations: No report
Active Employee Associations: No report
Membership: Membership is still at 1605.
Sunshine: No report.
Newsletter: Deadline for the next issue is July 20 or earlier.
Website: No report.
General Membership Programs: The September meeting will be a reprise of our hands-
on workshops for the SDCERS website and other social media.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:35 am.